The Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Göttingen conducts fundamental research in the field of solar system physics. With its approximately 300 staff members, it is one of the leading institutes in the field of solar physics and planetary research. In particular, the institute is involved in numerous international space missions.
The institute invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) in machine learning for CFD
Machine learning techniques have huge potentials for traditional CFD applications. This project will consist of building up data driven methods for CFD simulations.
- Implementing the existing data driven methods in CFD.
- Proposing new data driven methods for CFD.
- Training and testing the models with data from direct numerical simulations.
- For specific applications like turbulent convection, can we predict the flow reversals that are commonly seen in nature, including the geomagnetic reversal, using machine learning? Can we explain the predictability?
- Considering the information that we have at low Reynolds numbers, can we upscale the findings towards high Reynolds number? Is there a way for extrapolation with machine learning?
You should have
- PhD in fluid dynamics, physics, applied mathematics, or computer sciences.
- Experience with numerical methods, TensorFlow and python.
- Experience with GPU and supercomputers.
- Good English skills.
- Remuneration will be according to grade E13 of the TVöD pay scale of the German civil services
- Social security benefits are in accordance with the regulations of the civil services
- The full-time position is available from 1 November 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter
- Initially the position is available for a period of one year, with the possibility of an extension for two or three additional years.
Applications should include a CV, a publication list, a statement of research interests (max. 2 pages) and the names and contact details of two or three potential referees.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equity and diversity. We welcome applications from all backgrounds. The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more severely disabled people. Applications from severely disabled persons are explicitly encouraged.
Review of applications will start on 30 September 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
Please apply with informative documents exclusively online here on this site via our application portal. We look forward to receiving your online application.